Current Job Postings
We're always interested in expanding our talent pool.
Send your resume and a note about who you are to email@example.com.
Job Vacancy – Communications Strategist
Position Location: Vancouver /Toronto /New York / San Francisco /Montréal
Closing Date for Applications: Ongoing
Canopy: Canopy is a North American not for profit environmental organization dedicated to safeguarding the world’s forests, species and climate by harnessing the power of the marketplace and changing business practices. Best known for greening the Harry porter series internationally, Canopy works to green the business practices of major consumers of forest products in North America and in doing so secure protection of the world’s remaining intact and endangered forests. Canopy has brokered innovative environmental solutions such as paper made from the left-overs from the grain harvest and worked closely with ally organizations to translate companies’ environmental policies into landmark conservation gains in BC’s Great Bear Rainforest and Canada’s Boreal forests. Canopy is a fast-paced, results-oriented organization with a strong track record of success.
The Position: Canopy is seeking an experienced strategically-minded communications professional with strong project management and web skills to become our Communications Strategist. This new position will ideally be based in our Vancouver office and if not will have a requirement of set visits to our Vancouver office.
You will work closely with Canopy’s Executive Director, campaign and fundraising team to develop and implement Canopy’s communications plan (using traditional and nontraditional tools, including online social marketing and outreach), manage and promote our website, and manage the new organization’s brand. You will also oversee the design and production of a range of communications tools, from print advertisements and online videos to e-newsletters.
The major focus of the position is to increase the effectiveness of Canopy’s campaign communications and organization profile across North America. You will be expected to travel occasionally – primarily within Canada.
Sets and implements Canopy’s communications strategy, manages the Canopy brand, and manages communications staff.
- Develop and implement semi-annual strategic communications plans that advance and support Canopy’s campaigns and brand development
- Develop strong media relationships and drive Canopy’s media presence in Canada and the US
- Manage and promote the Canopy brand
- Manage, develop and promote the Canopy website and other key communications tools, including social media platforms, e-newsletters, print advertising and videos
- Drive the development of campaign, organizational and funding materials
- Manage communications contractors
- 5-7 years experience working with the media and/or as a communications specialist
- Ability to think and act strategically
- Sound knowledge of environmental issues
- Interest in and/or passion for Canopy’s mission and campaign goals and a broad understanding of the role of non-governmental organizations in civil society.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Strong computer skills including understanding of web platforms, word processing, spreadsheet power point and design software.
- Strong understanding of media, online engagement and other communication tools.
- Excellent project management, follow-through, and time management skills
- Management experience
- Demonstrated track record of collaboration, as well as ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Ability to travel and work on weekends and evenings when necessary.
Please apply by email to:
Canopy embraces equity and diversity and is committed to a workplace that is enriched by the people, needs and desires of Canada’s diverse community. We thank all applicants however we will only be contacting candidates successful in securing an interview.