Canopy’s Updated Global Viscose Producer Ranking:
The Hot Button Report
Taking stock of environmental progress, performance and expectations
Vancouver, November 2nd, 2017 – Today marks the release of the updated and expanded edition of the Hot Button Report, a ranking of eleven viscose and rayon producers that represent 70% of global viscose production. The report is highly anticipated by over 105 global brands, retailers and designers that are part of the CanopyStyle initiative.
The Hot Button Report is the first tool of its kind that enables fashion brands and retailers to robustly assess producers’ impact on the world’s forests, as well as their leadership in forging solutions to eliminate endangered forest fiber from the rayon and viscose supply chain. It has become a “go-to” resource for fashion brands since first published in 2016.
Highlights from the 2017 Ranking:
- Two major producers, Birla Cellulose and Lenzing, representing 25% of global supply, now have ‘light green shirt’ ranking;
- Three Chinese producers, Sateri, Sanyou and Fulida, are well underway with CanopyStyle Audits, and audit reports are anticipated to be made public in late Fall 2017;
- Two producers still sit with ‘’red shirts’’ and continue to be unresponsive;
- One new viscose producer, ENKA, has recently joined the CanopyStyle initiative with the adoption and initiation of the audit;
- Three producers are starting to make progress on transparency by listing their pulp suppliers publicly on their website;
- The ranking features five new criteria to incentivize continuous improvements and progress, aligned with CanopyStyle priorities on alternative fibers, conservation solutions and transparency;
- Completing the CanopyStyle Audit is the priority next step expected from all producers that have not yet started this independent verification process.
“We’ve seen remarkable progress with CanopyStyle over the past four years as a result of the collective action of our brands partners. In the upcoming year, CanopyStyle brands and designers are looking for additional leadership from their rayon and viscose suppliers,” said Canopy’s Executive Director and Founder Nicole Rycroft. “Initiating the CanopyStyle Audits, advocating for conservation, and advancing the development and production of next generation solutions are all key performance areas for producers striving to meet their customers’ expectations.”
The 2017 edition of the Hot Button Report will be followed later this fall by the public release of several more CanopyStyle Audits of viscose producers as well as additional implementation tools for CanopyStyle brands. Canopy and our over 750 brand partners across all forest product sectors are committed to catalyzing commercial scale production of next generation papers, packaging and fabrics and the kind of supply chain transformation that will see meaningful protection for the world’s ancient and endangered forests to the benefit of our global climate.
Read the full 2017 Hot Button Ranking here.
For more information:
Laura Repas, Marketing Communications Specialist, Canopy +1-416-729-7484 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About Canopy (www.canopyplanet.org)
Canopy is a not-for-profit environmental organization dedicated to protecting the world’s forests, species and climate. Canopy collaborates with more than 700 companies to develop innovative solutions, make their supply chains more sustainable and help protect our world’s remaining ancient and endangered forests. Canopy’s partners include H&M, Sprint, Penguin/Random House, Stella McCartney, Zara, TC Transcontinental, The Guardian and Scholastic. Canopy’s work relies on the support of individual donors who share our passion for the planet.